Friday 17 January 2014

The concept of a Grapplethon is relatively simple;  a group of grapplers (be it from BJJ, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Judo, Wrestling, Sambo etc) come together and roll for a set time period, for a selected charity. There aren't many rules other than that there must be at least two people grappling at any one point over the allotted time slot.

But first let me give you a little bit of background about myself.  My name is Mike, I'm married, have a wonderful wife and two smashing kids who keep me on my toes. I train in a number of combat sports/martial arts, but my real passion is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I've been training BJJ for some years now and hold the rank of purple belt. I train with a great team based at the Origin MMA Academy in Rainham, Essex.

I've always wanted to create a fund raiser, but seeing I'm scared of heights (so no skydiving!) and no marathon runner I thought doing something involving BJJ was ideal for me. To be fair Grapplethon's aren't a new thing and many BJJ teams both in the UK and abroad hold them on a regular basis. Google Grapplethon and you will find tonnes of successful events held by the BJJ community.

I guess the main question is which charity to chose. For me I have a special place in my heart for charities who specifically deal in helping neglected or bullied children. I'm currently in talks with a couple of charities and hope to make an announcement soon.

The next stage is to find a venue, grapplers, date and predetermined timeslot.

Keep watching this space for more info.

Osss.



No comments:

Post a Comment